I absolutely LOVE to cook. I have create a lot of dishes and experiment with different recipes and I have been posting my favorite ones, as well as my personal recipes on a blog to keep track and to show others what I have been making.

If you try one of my recipes I would love to hear your comments or how you did it differently or what you honestly think. :)
-Alyssa Groff

Fisherman's Stew/Cioppino


So this recipe was inspired by my dad and Julia Child. My dad is a big time kiteboarder and whenever he and his buddies goes out to the ocean they go eat fisherman's stew at this warf restaurant. After learning about Julia Child last year as well as watching the movie on her with Meryl Streep, I have followed some of her recipes and they are always good ones. Anyway, I found a recipe of hers that she called a Bouillabaisse and I was inspired to make a fisherman's stew for New Year's Eve for my family. I don't always follow one recipe to the t very well since I like this or that in my own way. So, for this recipe I used Julia Child's, the recipe from the restaurant my dad goes to on the coast and a seafood chef recipe and combined them how I wanted.
So this recipe was inspired by my dad and Julia Child. My dad is a big time kiteboarder and whenever he and his buddies goes out to the ocean they go eat fisherman's stew at this warf restaurant. After learning about Julia Child last year as well as watching the movie on her with Meryl Streep, I have followed some of her recipes and they are always good ones. Anyway, I found a recipe of hers that she called a Bouillabaisse and I was inspired to make a fisherman's stew for New Year's Eve for my family. I don't always follow one recipe to the t very well since I like this or that in my own way. So, for this recipe I used Julia Child's, the recipe from the restaurant my dad goes to on the coast and a seafood chef recipe and combined them how I wanted.

  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
  • fennel seeds
  • 3 cloves of minced garlic
  • 1 small red chili finely diced
  • 2/3 cup of dry white wine
  • a pinch of saffron
  • a pinch of anise
  • thyme
  • 1 can of crushed tomatoes
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 3 tablespoons of tomato paste
  • 300 ml of fish stock (fresh is best but if buying a prepackaged one check to see how many additives there are!)
  • 200 ml of clam juice
  • 1 lb fresh cleaned mussels
  • 1 lb fresh scallops
  • 1 lb raw prawns with tails kept intact
  • calamari rings/squid
  • firm white fish fillets-I used wild alaskan cod-cut into chunks
  • a handful of chopped flat leaf parley
  • parsley to garnish
  1. Saute the onion, fennel and garlic in olive oil for about five minutes until translucent and aromatic
  2. Add the chili and saute for a few more minutes
  3. Add the wine, saffron thyme and anise and allow it to cook off for about 2 minutes
  4. Add the crushed tomatoes/sauce, tomato paste clam juice and fish stock and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to medium and allow the mixture to simmer and thicken-for approx. 30 mins
  5. Add the scallops and prawns and cook for 3 minutes
  6. Add the squid and then the mussels.
  7. Add the chunks of fish and cook for a further 5-7 mins
  8. Remove from the heat and garnish with lots of fresh parsley and serve with bread. With this recipe I serve a Rouille spread that Julia Child also made that is optional. Please see below:

    Rouille

    • 1 roasted and peeled red bell pepper
    • 1 roasted hot red chile pepper or ground cayenne pepper to taste
    • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    • 1 small peeled garlic clove
    • 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs or finely chopped almonds
    • 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
    • Fine sea salt, about 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
    • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Puree everything except for the olive oil in a food processor until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil while processing to form a paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment